2020 GCB State Convention-Conference
Georgia Council of the Blind
GCB Conference and Convention November 6-7, 2020
Our Theme: GCB Community: Bridging the Gap
Join with other GCB members and friends for our first ever virtual conference and convention! Be there from the comfort of your own home via computer, phone or streamed on ACB radio.
Registration: Cost $15. Registrants will receive zoom links and will be eligible to win door prizes! Please visit georgiacounciloftheblind.org/register to register today.
The following are some program highlights. The full program will be coming out later.
Friday, November 6
4:00 – 4:30 PM Zoo Atlanta: Zoo 2 You educational video series introducing some of the various encounters offered at the zoo.
4:30 – 5:00 PM Grizzly and Wolf Discovery Center in Montana. Enjoy this audio tour straight from Yellowstone.
5:00 – 6:00 PM Interviews with GCB members: Get to know members of our GCB family from across the state.
6:00 – 7:00 PM Voices Across Georgia Presentation: listen as chapter presidents and representatives speak about their chapters, and maybe find a chapter near you.
7:00 – 9:00 PM Banquet with a keynote from Jeffrey Stump of the Georgia attorney general’s office and presentation of awards.
9:30 – 10:00 PM Night Cap: A Night Cap will be facilitated by Jamaica Miller on Friday after the banquet. This will be a place for the community to gather to share each person’s favorite thing about the day’s events.
Saturday, November 7
9:00 – 10:30 AM Exhibitors Showcase: Businesses and organizations will join us virtually to tell us about their products and services.
10:30 AM – 12:00 PM Business meeting
Concurrent sessions: On Saturday afternoon, a choice of programming will be offered.
1:00 – 2:30 PM Youth Outreach Committee Program on advocacy for high school students as they transition to higher education, work training, or employment.
Goal: Give students and parents what they need to know for a successful transition, what should be in an IEP transition plan, and what services VR can provide during high school.
Our second Saturday afternoon program will be:
1:30 – 2:30 PM Opportunities for seniors: free or low cost continuing education opportunities for adults over 62.
2:45 – 4:00 PM Special Interest Affiliate Showcase introducing some of the leaders of ACB affiliates.
4:00 – 5:00 PM Trivia led by Mary and Tommy Woodyard.
5:00 – 6:00 PM Vanda Pharmaceutical available for individual consultation
5:00 – 5:30 PM Board Meeting
Cecily Laney Nipper
If you'd like to join in on ACB radio whether you register or not, here's how.
Ways to connect to ACB Radio Special Stream:
1. Dial 1 (518)906-1820using traditional phone service dial pads. Listen to the menu prompts. For ACB radio special, select option 7.
2. Download and install the ACB Link app from your app store. After opening it, find the radio tab along the bottom of the screen, then find the menu button in the top left side. A drop down with an option for streams appears followed by the page to choose the ACB radio Special stream. After selecting, find and double tap the play button.
3. Using a Humanware Victor reader stream or trek, use the internet radio library in the online bookshelf. Locate either the Humanware playlist, or the search on ootunes and press the confirm button. in the Humanware playlist, the ACB radio streams will be located in the first 8 channels listed. In the ootunes search, use the search by name function, type in ACB with a space at the end and press confirm. the list of streams will appear, pick "Special" and press play.
4. Visit acbradio.org, find and click on the stream link, then find ACB radio Special you want to open and click on it.
5. Use your Amazon Echo enabled device to listen to the ACB Radio special stream:
Special Event-“Alexa open ACB Radio Special”
• Should any of the above features not begin playing, change the open command to “enable” and end with the word “Skill.”
Example: “Alexa enable the ACB Radio Special skill”